- All forms of violent rhetoric leads to or causes violent actions.
- All violent actions are wrong and they should be prevented.
- Violent political rhetoric (e.g. putting crosshairs on a map) lead to the assassination attempt in Arizona.
- Violent music (e.g. Marilyn Manson) lead to the Columbine tragedy in 1995.
- Therefore, we should ban any form of violent rhetoric.
Perhaps Plato has something here: music and rhetoric will not be allowed in his Republic.
I don’t agree with the argument above. But my point is that if you’re going to claim it was politicians’ fault for causing a political climate that was violent through their speech, it seems like you’re in the same camp as saying violent speech through music caused Columbine. If you don’t agree with the argument above, which premise are you going to attack and why?