- Molly Crocket, a neuroscientist at the University of Oxford, discusses the neuroscience of moral decision making. It’s a fascinating talk. You can listen to the talk, or read the transcript, along with a Q&A afterwords.
- The United States of Thanksgiving. I challenge someone to make all of these.
- Why movies about a kick-ass female and a lame-ass male are horrible movies.
- My friend and colleague, Cheryl Abbate, a PhD student in philosophy has been verbally attacked by a professor at Marquette University. The professor’s criticisms are unprofessional. To understand the situation, start with this. To support Cheryl, go here. The Philosophy Smoker has been supportive of Abbate, so has Flickers of Freedom, as well as News APPS. It has also been picked up the local Milwaukee newspaper, the Journal Sentinel and by Fox News (with a misleading headline, I might add). And now there’s an open letter to the President of Marquette University to respond.
- Here’s an open letter from philosopher Daniel Boonin.
- An update showing a lot of support for Abbate. You can also add your own open letter in the comments, which one of my colleagues has done.
- Several department heads from Marquette University met and wrote a letter in support of Abbate and invite other people in the Marquette community to sign.
- Why conservatives and liberals disagree. It’s because they follow ideology rather than empirical data.
- How we think about relationships in the future will drastically change.
- Women with more male friends have sex more often with their boyfriends. I’m presuming the study means heterosexual women.
- Watching porn leads to greater acceptance of premarital sex two years later. However, acceptance of premarital sex does not lead to watching porn.
- Frequently watching porn is associated with a higher incidence of hooking up or having one-night stands.
- 13 dating apps ranked by likelihood of sex.