- Galen Strawson has a great article about the history of the philosophy of consciousness.
- If people see your son as attractive, they will see the father as attractive.
- When wives get sick, they are more likely to get divorced than when husbands get sick.
- A great comic analyzing the linguistics between compatibilism and determinism.
- Studies show that early consumption of peanuts in infants can prevent peanut allergy.
- People who took a daily dose of Tylenol over a 21-day period reported a reduction in hurt feelings and showed less pain-related brain activity after being socially excluded. (via Useful Science)
- Fit children have ‘greater brain capacity’ in areas important for memory and learning. (via Useful Science)
- Narcissism can enhance your life; being a psychopath can diminish your life expectancy.
- Feeling downtrodden? Maybe Stoicism Man can help you.
- An interesting game about fallacies.
- A girlfriend has DID (dissociative identity disorder) and momentarily forgets who her boyfriend is.
- Some really, really good advice about whether you should go to grad school in philosophy.
- Top 10 living philosophers to read today.
- Some notes on doing a Ph. D. and getting a job in philosophy.
- 10 ways racism is still rampant in US society. (Institutionalized racism still exists folks.)
- An interesting article about how divorces don’t mean the end of a relationship, how marriages don’t end by one person’s death, and new forms of what relationships can be. From the article itself: “So on your checklist of what you seek in a future spouse, alongside a sense of humour and desire for kids, include this: someone from whom you can envision being amicably divorced.”
- Interesting article from Dr. Helen Fisher: “Casual Sex may be Improving America’s Marriages.” She used to be against anti-casual sex, but the article is looking at how casual sex may actually to contribute to lasting marriages.
An updated SEP on “The Problem of Evil.”
- Is porn addictive? Probably not. It may be a compulsion, but that’s not the same thing as an addiction.
- Among other things, having an open relationship reflected well-being and can be rewarding as much or more as being in a monogamous relationship.
- Among adolescents, males typically have greater influence for condom use.
- Positive attitudes toward casual sex in men (but not women) is linked to lower relationship satisfaction for men and their partners.
- Is the male sex drive higher than women’s?
- Speaking of differences between males and females, could genuine differences be because of nature and not because of patriarchy?
- Reverse beer googles: perceiving someone drinking wine is considered more attractive than perceiving someone drinking beer.
- Many women health providers use IUDs; the general population uses the birth control pill.
- A British court is considering the possibility of a man and woman consenting to sex as legitimate. But if the man ejaculates inside the woman and the woman has refused that portion of consent, it could be considered rape.
- Americans are still divided on why people are gay.
- Do women prefer body hair on men? It depends when the women are ovulating.
- Massimo Pigliucci has a new blog on How to be a Stoic.