Classes for my Ph. D. School – Fall 2009

Next year, I’m going to Marquette University for my Ph. D.  However, I’m going to buy the books and act as if I was in the class.  I figure that this would at least give me some good preparation for next year, and I can see what my fellow classmates are reading.  I realize that next year will be a completely different schedule, but by acting in the program now, I’ll have a feel as to what the Ph. D. program is all about.  I’ve looked at the books and classes.  There are two classes I’m definitely taking: History and Theory of Ethics (here is the book) and Theory of Knowledge (the books are here and here).  In the Theory of Knowledge, it looks like a philosophy of science class.  I’m debating between four other classes: Aristotle, Early Analytic Philosophy (which covers Wittgenstein, Russell, Ferge and the Logical Positivists), Plotinus, and Medieval philosophy.  I have to pick one, but I’m leaning toward Aristotle or Early Analytic Philosophy.  Thus, I’ve created a poll.  Let me know which class I should take and if you can, explain why I should take it.  I’ll keep the poll open until this Saturday (Aug. 8th).

I’m also hoping that some of you out there would read the books with me and we can discuss about it.

UPDATE: Aug. 9, 2009.  The results are in.  Looks like it’s Early Analytic Philosophy.  The books are here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

I’ll be reading along during the semester so if anyone wants to read along with me and talk with me on the blog, that would be great.  I should let you know that I may put my full attention on the Theory of Ethics and Theory of Knowledge books because the Early Analytic Philosophy is beyond my range and I definitely need some outside input to understand these people.

Advertisements

About shaunmiller

I am a Ph. D student at Marquette University. The primary purpose of this blog is to get my ideas out there, and then have other people scrutinize, critique, build upon, and systematize beliefs. This blog will sometimes pertain to what I'm learning in my classes, but it will occasionally deal with non-classroom issues that I'm thinking about as well.
This entry was posted in Education. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Classes for my Ph. D. School – Fall 2009

1. aubreycierra says:

I think that the Early Analytic Philosophy. It sounds interesting and I haven’t heard much about it. If you want I would be interesting in reading some of those books.

2. Kevin says:

I’m trying to beef up my knowledge of philosophy right now, going through a book that gives a short description of 100 philosophers main teachings, and re-reading the few books I have from Descarte, Nietzche, and Kant, so I’d love to go through those books with you, especially the ethics one. We should have a book club lol.

3. thekillerj says:

Try the medieval philosophy. Any era where knights, dungeons, torture, fair maidens, feasts, kings, queens, dragons, and Dragon Eagles congregate SURELY spurred some creative thought.

4. Nexus Six says:

Go with Early Analytic Philosophy.
    It seems to me that the amount of information we have available to us is causing sociology and philosophy to become increasingly interdependent. Like philosophers are taking a much more quantitative approach to develop their theories. At least that’s how it seems to me; a guy who doesn’t know nearly as much as he’d like to about philosophy. If how it seems to me is even remotely close to the truth, knowing the roots of analytic philosophy would be a boon.

I had some questions for you. Questions to be filed under the category “the necessity of pragmatism in a global environment.” If you are down for answering them (or even better, helping me find the answers myself), is it okay for me to email you?

• shaunmiller says:

Hello Nexus Six,
      Analytic philosophy is very quantitative and what’s interesting is that the other side (Continental philosophy) accuses analytic philosophy of not being philosophy, but rather science. Analytic philosophy accuse continental philosophers of not doing philosophy but rather humanities or one of the arts. I’m generally more sympathetic to the continental tradition but maybe I put that bias on the side and take a look at the analytic tradition.

As for asking me questions, you certainly email me, but I can’t guarantee that I’ll know the answers.

5. shaunmiller says:

I want to thank everyone for voting and possibly reading with me. However, I just found out yesterday that I have new classes to teach, and I’m sitting in two classes. Thus, I won’t have to do the readings. Sorry if anyone bought the books. However, I’ll try to read along with you during the winter break so that it’s not wasted. If there is any time, I am going to do some readings from the History and Theory of Ethics (here is the book). Mainly because I already ordered it.