In a fascinating talk by Philip Zimbardo, he discusses how different people, cultures, and geographical places have different personal time zones. Through this, it explains why people get into conflicts and how we all view the world:
For clarification, Zimbardo says there are six different time zones:
- Past positive: focus is on the “good old days”, past successes, nostalgia, etc.
- Past negative: focus on failures and the things that went wrong
- Present Hedonistic: focus on pleasures right here right now, living in the moment and avoid pain
- Present fatalism: the present situation cannot be changed because of outside forces, “it doesn’t pay to plan”
- Future: focusing on working and learning now to get a good future
- Transcendental future: life truly begins after death
Find out which time zone you’re in by taking this survey.
Apparently, I’m about 49% past-negative, about 2% past-positive, 50% present hedonism, about 92% present fatalism, and about 24% future oriented. I didn’t get anything on transcendental future so I’m assuming 0%